Friday, February 4, 2011

It's That Time of Year Again!

Tonight Chris and I are watching a Barbara Walters special about some famous people that have had open heart surgery.  It reminded me that February is Heart Health Awareness Month!  It also reminds me of the very real statistic that heart disease is the number 1 killer of women.  Below is a post I did about this time last year:

So I may not be an uber health freak but one health issue I always keep on my mind is heart disease. A couple of years ago my Granny Lila went in for a simple procedure that turned into quad-bypass that later resulted in her passing away.



The kicker about my Granny Lila dying of heart disease was that on the outside you would never guess she had a heart issue. She was a picture of health for a woman in her seventies. You never know who could have heart problems.


The website that has the most heart information is http://www.americanheart.org/. It is the American Heart Association's website.

Last year I attempted to post something everyday about heart health.  Pretty sure I won't be doing that this year but it is no reason at all you can't look into some things on your own.  For example, the symptoms women have with heart disease is different than men.  Most women never have the infamous chest pains.  But they will experience fatigue and breathlessness.  I know, what woman is not tired at the end of the day.  In my, non-medical background, opinion when women go in for their normal yearly exams they should go ahead and have a physical done.  Most insurance companies will pay for a physical.  And if heart disease runs in your family paying for a physical is always cheaper than paying for bypass surgery.

No comments: