For those of you that have never had the opportunity to be on bed rest count yourself lucky! At first people say, " Oh, you're so lucky. I wish someone would make me lay down all day." Not true. It's one thing if you feel bad and you want to lay down all day but if you don't feel bad and just have to lay on your side all day it is a real drag.
Here are 10 things to consider about bed rest...should you ever be on bed rest:
1. Because of this preeclampsia business I am retaining a ton of a water--even in my head! I have fluid in my ear! No, I have not been swimming--it is very annoying!
2. If you are trying to write it is very difficult to do so without some part of you going numb.
3. You have to drink out of straws all day long.
4. Being that I am about 8 1/2 months pregnant getting up to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes is not a pretty or graceful thing to watch.
5. You cannot go any where. There are numerous things that if I was just home for the heck of it I would go do but cannot. I know people have volunteered to do things for me but I don't like asking people for help and eventually I talk myself out of whatever I was needing originally so clearly it's not that important to begin with.
6. You quickly realize TV is over rated. No matter how many channels you have there are times when there really is nothing good on TV. That is when you find the 900 channels that are all music and have that playing all day just because you get tired of hearing the dog breathe.
7. You make a ton of lists. I have lists of everything. What am I going to do with these lists? Heck, if I know. I have a lists of things we need before Eli is born whenever that's going to be. I have a list of things I need to purchase to put in a hospital bag. I have a list of things that need to go in said hospital bag. I have a list of groceries. I have a list of books. I'm telling you I have lists!
8. You realize how wonderful your spouse is. Not that I needed to know how great my husband is but he is a real trooper these days since he has to be husband and wife. We all know there are just certain things the wife does: buy groceries, make meals, plan the menu of what you eat, etc. Well, Chris has to do all those things right now and he's doing a great job!
9. You get to read a lot. Like I said earlier TV is over rated at this point so I am reading more. This morning I read Psalm 119 and actually found a verse about bed rest, "Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. (Psalm 119:37) Before all you Bible scholars tell me this is not about bed rest I know it was not written with that intent but it sure does make sense to me!
10. The last and probably most important thing I have realized about bed rest is how much we are not in control. I like to know what is going on around me and have some sort of control over it and I have absolutely no control over this current situation. I am at the mercy of my blood pressure monitor and my doctor's wisdom.
This is only day 5 of bed rest and I've already learned these 10 things!