Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dug Down Deep, by Joshua Harris

The perfect sentence to describe, “Dug Down Deep,” by Joshua Harris was written in the introduction by the author himself.  He said, “I’ve tried to keep things very simple in the hope that people who never paid attention to theology will find it accessible (and also because simple is the only way I understand things).”  I would be one of the people that preferred not to pay attention to theology.  I knew what I believed but if someone ever doubted me on it I probably wouldn’t know what to say. 

Like most believers the word, “theology,” brings to mind seminary professors and preachers.  But in the first chapter the author starts off with why theology and doctrine are important to him and why it should be important to everyone.  He states, “We’re either building our lives on the reality of what God is truly like and what he’s about, or we’re basing our lives on our own imagination and misconceptions.”  Simply put the remainder of the book builds from that idea.  Each chapter focuses on one aspect of Christian doctrine:  the Bible, Sanctification, the Holy Spirit, God, Redemption, etc. 

Unlike most books on Christian doctrine and theology I didn’t once have to pull out a dictionary.  But I also didn’t feel as if Harris was “dumbing down” the gospel either.   To make the book even more memorable there is a discussion guide in the back that is perfect for discipleship or small groups. 

Thanks to Blogging for Books for a complimentary copy of this book for reviewing purposes.  

To read the first chapter click here.  
To watch a video summary click here.  

No comments: