Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cary's Magical Enchiladas

This is the recipe for the enchiladas I made last night.  I am going to claim this recipe as mine because it is actually three different recipes combined the way I like enchiladas.  I believe what makes them magical is the fact that the chicken simmers in the HOMEMADE enchilada sauce for an hour!

2 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sugar
dash of salt
1 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
2-8 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 lb of chicken tenderloins
17 small flour tortillas
shredded cheese
1-15 oz black beans (rinsed)

Pour oil into dutch oven (over medium heat) and cook the onion and garlic until you can smell them.  Add tomato sauce, chili powder, coriander, cumin, sugar, and salt.  Then add water.  Cover the sauce mixture while you cook your chicken.  You can cook the chicken any way you want.  I chose to boil it because I find it easier to cut up that way.  Once chicken is done place chopped up chicken in sauce mixture, cover, and set it on simmer.  I let it simmer for about an hour. 
Once the hour is over drain your mixture over another bowl so you have your chicken separated from the rest of the sauce.  Add your rinsed black beans to the chicken and stir together. 
Spread the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan with sauce.  Roll your chicken and bean mixture into your tortillas and place in pan (to make the tortillas easier to roll heat them up in the microwave for 15-30 seconds).  Once your pan is full pour your sauce over all the tortillas.  Cover with cheese (you can decide how much cheese you want).  Place foil over pan and cook in 350 oven for 20-30 minutes-until your cheese is melted.

Since this is my tweaked version of a recipe I might have left some things out.  If you have any questions just let me know!

No comments: