Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Un-discipleship?

If you are a regular reader of this blog you know that I have formatted a structured series of questions for discipleship using only the Bible (and commentaries). I often feel this is too structured that girls might not get very much from this method or get bored with it. However, I was affirmed recently. I heard a speaker say, to a group of women, when they were in between Bible studies offered by their local churches they should read their Bible. Now because I think about discipleship a lot I assumed this was a given. It made my heart hurt to think women, without the structure of a regular workbook Bible study, would flounder about spiritually until something else came along.

Ladies, with the same fervor you use to teach your child to use a sippy cup or mind their manners at the table--read God's Word! You don't have to be the next Beth Moore or Denise Glenn to read His word. His Word is for the educated and uneducated, loved and unloved, skinny and fat, Aggies and Razorbacks...it's for everyone.

If you don't know where to start, start with some short books: Phillipians, Colossians, Ephesians, James, etc. Don't let Satan win the battle for your time and your soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed! Nothing can substitute the Word of God. It is so powerful and can give us all the wisdom we need. I am seeing in my discipleship relationships that studying through the Word is so much more effective than books. I think books can serve good purposes and be helpful but it seems like the Word is more powerful in conviction and growth.

Cynthia said...

I agree!!! I find more and more women are relying on the "spoon feeding" of others and not wanting to pick it up for themselves. So many think the Bible is book that is too hard for them to understand but the Holy Scriptures tell us that we don't need another teacher other than the Holy Spirit. Wow lets do our part to swing this thing around and lead women to fall head over heels in love with The WORD!